Beacon Environmental Limited is currently seeking a Terrestrial Ecologist to work full-time out of our Guelph office. The successful candidate will ideally have a minimum of three years of professional consulting experience.
Staff with this level of experience typically take a technical role in their area of expertise while working on multidisciplinary teams. They assist in managing projects and act as key support staff for Senior staff in project management and the preparation of reports. They work with other technical staff to conduct field work and summarize findings for review and approval. They may also provide mentoring to assist in the professional development of more junior staff.
Duties would include: providing technical expertise on multidisciplinary teams, coordinating field programs, conducting field work, interpreting and applying policy and legislation, report and proposal preparation, permit applications, project management, assisting with strategic business development and marketing, training and mentoring.
Beacon offers a competitive compensation package including ownership opportunities, a performance bonus system, health benefits, and RRSP matching. Our inclusive corporate culture is carefully designed to make us an exceptionally competitive firm, and a fulfilling place to pursue a career in the dynamic industry of environmental consulting.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a field related to ecology, resource management, or environmental planning or similar, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum three years’ environmental consulting experience related to terrestrial ecology.
- Field experience applying the Ecological Land Classification System.
- Ability to identify in the field most trees, shrubs, and ground flora common to southern and central Ontario and demonstrate proficiency using floral keys for difficult taxonomic groups.
- Experience with habitat management and/or habitat monitoring and wildlife surveys.
- Knowledge of, and experience in applying, provincial and federal environmental regulatory procedures, possess knowledge to assist in the successful negotiation of Conservation Authorities Act permits and Endangered Species Act
- Experience with provincial and federal environmental regulatory procedures (environmental impact assessments, due diligence studies, habitat restoration) and natural heritage policies in Ontario.
- Experience with natural heritage impact assessment including the ability to locate, synthesize and assess technical background information related to natural heritage.
- Excellent self-management, time management and organizational skills with the ability to set priorities and multi-task.
- Demonstrated sense of urgency with a strong commitment to ensuring client satisfaction, achieving goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of and experience with project management fundamentals including cost control, scope management, scheduling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; team oriented, ability to work independently.
REPORTING AND ANALYSIS
- Interpret and apply a high level of knowledge regarding provincial and federal policies to projects to provide guidance and recommendations to project teams.
- Incorporate technical information into accurate and concise reports.
- Complete permit applications and monitoring reports.
- Develop proposals, budgets, and scope changes.
- Manage project timelines and interact with clients and agencies as required.
- Provide staff with guidance and training on technical studies, policy and regulation interpretation and reporting requirements, and professional growth.
- Design, conduct and coordinate ecological inventory and monitoring programs.
- Provide technical expertise and support to other PMs and multidisciplinary project teams.
- Data summary and analysis (GIS would be an asset).
Additional skills that would be an asset, but are not required, include:
- Project Management Training
- Arborist Certification
- Fish and Wildlife Identification
- Ontario Wetland Evaluation System (OWES) Training
- Graphics and GIS experience
|Position Type:||Permanent, full-time|
|Salary:||To be negotiated based on skills and experience|
|Contact:||Via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|Deadline:||Beacon will contact those candidates that have been selected for an interview.|